Tacoma Middle School League Co-Ed Cross Country
|Boys and Girls Cross Country Rules and Guidelins|
|Oct 16, 2019 11:39 AM|
TACOMA PUBLIC SCHOOLS
ALL-CITY CROSS COUNTRY
BOYS AND GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY RULES AND GUIDELINES
- All eligible 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students may participate (NO CUTS) (If a student is cut from another fall sport and would like to turn out for cross country, they may transfer the practices from week one of the other sport.)
- Parent/Guardian online registration must be completed on FinalForms:
- Student online registration must be completed on FinalForms:
- Each athlete is required to have a current physical (last 13 months)
- ASB Card purchased ($15)
- All teams will practice five (5) days a week, two (2) hours per day.
- Student athletes should wear appropriate running shoes and clothing, and be prepared to practice in various weather conditions.
REGULAR SEASON MEETS
- Each individual must have a minimum of eight (8) practice days before participating in their first meet.
- School issued uniforms will be issued at the beginning of the season for use during meets. These will need to be cleaned and returned at the end of the season. (If uniforms are damaged and/or lost the student will be responsible for the cost of the replacement.)
- Transportation (school bus) will be provided from the athlete’s middle school to the meet site. Student athletes must ride the bus in order to participate in the meet. At the end of the meet, transportation (school bus) will be provided back to the student’s middle school. (Parent/guardian is responsible for notifying the coach if they would like to take their child home directly from the meet site.)
- Cross country meet courses will be marked in advance of each meet. Course length will be 3000 meters, also referred to as a “3K” (1.87 miles).
- Regular meets will be timed by coaches from the “hosting” middle school.
- Separate races will be run for boys and girls. The order will rotate on an annual basis.
- The top 5 finishers from each school will be scored for the team competition. The #6 and#7 runner from each middle school will contribute to the scoring in the event of a tie score between teams. (Lowest aggregate score will determine team place. For example:Team X finishes 2nd, 4th, 6th, 9th and 10th. Their team score would be 2+4+6+9+10=31 points. Team Y finishes 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 8th. Their team score would be1+3+5+7+8=24 points.)
- Championship Meet participants will consist of 7 varsity runners from each middle school. Varsity runners will be determined by the coach(s) from each middle school and will be selected based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, best times, participation, attendance, and leadership. (Each student athlete must participate in at least 3 regular season meets and attend practice regularly in order to be eligible for selection to the varsity team. If injury/hardship is a factor, an exception may be considered.)
- Each middle school may bring 2 alternate runners in the event of a last-minute injury/sickness/absence of a scheduled varsity runner. The alternate runner(s) will only participate in the Championship Meet if the originally scheduled runner is unable to participate. The team coach will communicate the change to the Championship Meet Director prior to the start of the race.
- The Championship Meet will be organized by the Tacoma Public School District Central Office staff.
- Scoring and distance will be the same as regular season meets.